Amid the nationwide lockdown owing to the fast-spreading coronavirus pandemic, homeless people and daily wage workers, who migrate to big cities from their home towns in search of jobs, are combating hunger for survival as the fast-spreading disease has now created a panic situation across India.
The condition across the country is critical now. India’s current death toll from the coronavirus pandemic stands at 2,293, with the nation reporting 70,756 confirmed cases and out of them, 22,455 people have recovered from the disease.
HIGHLIGHTS from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s address to the nation:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced a massive package of 20 Lakh crores to make India self-reliant.
- “India, which was not manufacturing even a single personal protective equipment (PPE) kit, has now achieved an almost unrealistic goal of producing 2 lakh PPE kits daily within two months after the coronavirus pandemic,” PM Modi said.
- 2 lakh N95 masks are being manufactured in India every day and these masks are being sent to various hospitals.
- Lockdown 4.0 will be implemented after May 17 but that will be different from the previous ones with new set of rules.
- PM Modi urged the countrymen to promote swadeshi products and motivate others too in buying local products.
- We will not accept defeat from the deadly virus, rather we will firmly fight against the pandemic and will move forward.
- The world now believes that India can do very well and that we can contribute greatly towards the welfare of mankind.
- PM Modi suggested five pillars for self-reliance: Economy with potential for quantum jump, Infrastructure, Tech-driven system, Demography, Intelligence-driven supply system.
- PM Modi said that one virus has destroyed the world, infecting more than 42 lakh people. But we will not give up or accept defeat.
- Today we have the resources, we have the power and the best talent in the world. We will make the best products, improve our quality, and modernize the supply chain. We can and we will.