India is a country located in South Asia. It is the second-most populous nation which is the seventh-largest country by area, and the most populous democracy in the world. In fact, it is a land of mystery and known for incredible history.
India is not only big in terms of population but also in terms of diversity and cultural heritage. India gained Independence from the British rule back in the year 1947. Talking about the details of our national flag that has four colours namely- Saffron, White, Green and Navy blue. Each colour signifies a particular message.
Navy blue wheel with 24 spokes is Dharma Chakra while the saffron colour stands for courage, sacrifice and the spirit of renunciation. The white colour signifies purity and truth whereas the green stripe stands for faith and fertility.
Now, in this article, we will learn about 10 amazing facts about India.
1. The highest cricket pitch in the world is located in Chail, Himachal Pradesh. It is situated at a height of 2,444 metres above sea level.
2. Did you know? India is the largest producer of movies. Bollywood, Kollywood, Tollywood and other regional cinema industries together produce more movies than any nations in the world.
3. Until the year, 1896, India was the only official place for Diamonds. Yes, in the 19th century, India was the only nation in the world where diamonds were mined. The diamond mines of Golconda near the modern city of Hyderabad are talked about around the world for the most popular diamonds in history found there. Now, you know why Britain was so determined in keeping their Colonial rule in India.
4. For the uninitiated, Plastic Surgery was majorly invented in India. Sushruta, an ancient surgeon made a huge contribution to medical science in the field of plastic and cataract surgery back in the 6th century.
5. After USA, India is the largest English-speaking population. In India, 11.38% of the population knows English. However, it is quite obvious that due to high population, we have managed to achieve this feat.
6. Did you know that the world’s largest school is located in India? Yes, the City Montessori School which is located in Lucknow holds the Guinness Book of World Record for being the largest school in the world in terms of the total number of students.
7. The production cost of one 1 Rupee coin is estimated to be around Rs. 1.11. Yes, you read it right. The cost of Rs 2 coin is Rs 1.28 and Rs 5 coin is said to be Rs 3.69. The new Rs 10 currency coins cost Rs 5.54 each.
8. Only three cities of India are said to be the world’s fastest-growing cities from 2006 and 2020. Ghaziabad, Surat and Faridabad are among the world’s fastest-growing cities.
9. In the majority of the places in India, when a man marries a woman, the latter moves to the former’s house. But, there are some places in the country where a man marries a woman and then moves to his mother-in-law’s house. Khasi in Meghalaya and matrilineal Muslims in Minicoy, Lakshadweep are the places.
10. Hindi is not the national language of India and perhaps the majority of the people have accepted it as the national language but it is not. There are more than 20 official languages in India and Hindi is one of them.