Some people pelt Stones at healthcare workers, Police on COVID-19 duty

Last month in the city of Indore, angry mob attacked a group of healthcare workers who had gone for coronavirus checkup. Recently, yet another incident took place in the country but this time in Uttar Pradesh’s Moradabad.

A team of medical personnel and police were travelling in an ambulance and all of a sudden, they were pelted with stones by the locals. The incident happened when healthcare workers and police had gone to escort family members of a person who passed away due to coronavirus epidemic.

The ambulance was carrying the family members to the quarantine facility.

“When our team boarded the ambulance a crowd suddenly emerged and started pelting stones. Some doctors are still there. We are injured,” the ambulance driver shared his terrible experience.

Sharing some more details regarding the incident, SSP Amit Pathak told news agency ANI, “A COVID-19 positive patient had passed away in Nagphani area. In this regard, the patient’s first contact, his family members, were to be quarantined. A medical team and police team had visited here for the same.”

He added, “When the family members came out, a crowd pelted stones. The ambulance and police vehicle got damaged. We are sending the family members to the quarantine centre. The situation is under control now. We will identify the people involved in this incident and strict action will be taken against them.”

Meanwhile, the SSP said that some members of the medical team picked up some nasty injuries. “This is a violation of Section 144 and Epidemic Diseases Act, Disaster Management Act. Action will be taken under the National Security Act also,” Pathak said.

Tatpal Singh, who works as a pharmacist was present at the site of the incident and he said: “We received orders to shift family members of a person who died due to coronavirus to another place. Four police personnel also went there along with us.

“The family members were ready to come with us. But locals arrived and refused to let the family members go. Later, they got into a verbal fight with the police and started pelting stones.”

With Inputs From ANI