The deadly coronavirus has now claimed the lives of over 4,000 people and infected more than 1.6 lakh people globally. The coronavirus outbreak has also sabotaged the international calendar of several sporting events all across the world. The fast-spreading disease has even put the upcoming Tokyo Olympics 2020 under huge doubt.
In a shocking development, India has recorded its first death due to coronavirus, the officials confirmed the news.
The 76-year-old man from the southern state of Karnataka who had returned from Saudi Arabia on 29th of February after a month-long visit passed away linked to the novel coronavirus outbreak.
The state’s health minister also added that the people who came in touch with the person were being traced and quarantined.
So far, there have been 73 confirmed cases of the virus in India according to the health ministry.
The 76-year-old passed away on Tuesday but his test results were made public on Thursday.
Officials also added that the old man was screened at the airport when he arrived from Saudi Arabia but showed no symptoms at the time.
But he had breathing difficulties on 5th of March and was subsequently taken to a hospital.
India has taken significant steps to stop the fast-spreading distance.
Meanwhile, all schools, colleges and movie theatres in the Delhi, will be closed until 31 March in order to help control the spread of the virus, the city’s Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said on Thursday.
It is also to be noted that several departments of the government have been coordinating India’s response to the deadly outbreak. In a media press conference on Thursday, officials said there was no need to panic.