Cricket is deemed a ‘religion’ in this country. There is no doubt that it’s the most-watched sport in India. Indian cricketers get paid handsomely for representing the country and they are known to lead a luxurious life.
Apart from earning in the international arena, they also get tonnes of bonuses from the cash-rich Indian Premier League. To put it in simple terms, earning money for them is as easy as a pie.
Cricketers also love to lead the team by the epitome of class. We just can’t judge their character based on their attitude on the field. They play with passion, pride, grit and determination to win games and in the process, some display sheer aggressiveness. But off the field, they are totally different people altogether.
At the same time, some cricketers hogged the limelight with dumb statements. Let’s take a look at them.
1. Sourav Ganguly’s comment on spouses and girlfriends adds that they stress men’s lives. “There is no stress in life. Only wife and girlfriend give stress.”
2. Gautam Gambhir once said that if Delhi’s pollution problems are solved, he will stop eating jalebis. “Agar mera jalebi khane se Delhi ka pollution badha hai, toh main hamesha ke liye jalebi chhod sakta hoon…10 minute mein mujhe troll karna shuru kar diya, agar itni mehnat Delhi ki pollution ko kam karne mein ki hoti toh hum saas le pate.”
3. When Virat Kohli played a terrible shot in IPL 2020 season, Sunil Gavaskar said, “Inhone lockdown mein toh bas Anushka ki gendon ki practice ki hai, (he has only faced Anushka’s bowling in lockdown)”
4. Former Indian captain Virat Kohli said, “Don’t live in India if you don’t like Indian batsmen.”
5. Shoaib Akhtar stated that Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid aren’t match-winners. “I think players like Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid weren’t exactly match-winners to start with, nor did they know the art of finishing the game.”